Thursday, September 02, 2010

One if by land, two if by sea

Greetings Dearest and Most Faithful Readers.

Much to my surprise and despite the dubious nature of these pages, "The "Erin O'Brien Owner's Manual for Human Beings" is a finalist for a Lantern Award.

My esteemed competitors are Michael Salinger and Karen Sandstrom, both of whom I've known for years.

The winners will be announced at an awards ceremony on Sept. 11 at the Palace Theater, which is one of my favorite places in Cleveland and everyone should go there whenever possible whatever the reason, even if it is to watch an awards program involving the unlikely likes of me.

Tickets to the Lantern Awards are available here.

Karen, Michael and I will be discussing all of this puffery on "Around Noon" next Tuesday, Sept. 7, at noon. You can listen to that (for free!) by tuning into 90.3 FM locally, listening online to the live stream via the previous link, or dropping in there after the fact and downloading the podcast.

If all this O'Brien-inity has you overwhelmed with the unbearable lightness of being, why not keep the sails full and sign up for the 27th Annual Western Reserve Writers' Conference and Workshop, at which both Michael and I will be presenting along with a bevy of wonderful Cleveland writers. The event is from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m on Saturday, Sept. 25.

I'd love to see you at one or both of these events. Thank you for your continued support.

*  *  *

13 comments:

Tony Rugare said...

Congratulations and good luck!

Joannah said...

thinking positive thoughts and sending them your way!

Jack Cluth said...

Congratulations!! Richly deserved and about damn time.... ;-)

lucy beckett 1935 said...

Enough with the false modesty, girlfriend. As your wise and discerning friend, Jack, correctly commented, "richly deserved." I concur. I was a blog virgin when i first encountered yours, and I like to never figure out how to leave a comment. But once I got that figured out, I was able to read any old blog and leave the occasional comment. Never quite sure if said blogger reads my pithy comments, as there doesn't seem to be much interaction in the bloggoshere. So I wish you all the best for the awards program...each of your entries is a little gem, that you seem to bring forth from a magic pocket!!

Kirk said...

Congratulations, and good luck.

By the way, I clicked on the first link and saw Harvey Pekar. Ever cross paths with him?

Anonymous said...

Congrats and Bonne Chance!

RJ

Bill said...

I wish I could be there to see you in person and be a lonely conservative in the crowd. Rooting for you of course. You're the best. Good luck.

Joe said...

congrats

Erin O'Brien said...

Thanks, peeps!

Hal said...

You rock Erin!

Vince said...

GO Ni Brián, GOOOOOOOO

Laura Maylene said...

Enjoyed the Around Noon segment today. Congrats!

Erin O'Brien said...

Thanks for tuning in, Laura.