Saturday, August 15, 2009

Thirty one flavors



Just saw It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World at the beautiful and historic Palace Theater. The dialogue was hilarious and all the digital graphics in the world can't hold a candle to those live action car chases and demo/fight scenes.

And how about that "31 Flavors" dance sequence in the above YouTube? I love how he pounds his head with an imaginary hammer.

To all my homies here in Cleveland, whatever you do, be sure to catch one of the last few Cinema at the Square features. Tickets are just five bucks and there's cold beer at the refreshment stand.

For those who've never seen it, here's a snap I took of the interior of the Palace during a recent tour:

8 comments:

Mikey said...

The syle of movement of the woman doing the dance looks like teh way Penny Marshall used to move in Laverne & Shirley.

DogsDontPurr said...

Don't you just love those old grand theatres!?

Downtown Los Angeles has so many amazing old theatres that are all boarded up now. I always wish I could go poke around in these abandoned buildings, because you just know there would be amazing remnants, all dusty and cobwebbed, of their long lost past lives and grandeur.

Mikey said...

My landlord is frineds with the guy who is trying to restore and re-open The Hilliard. I'm campaigning for an indie/underground house but my landlord is no help in this matter.

dean said...

Y'all need to preserve that theatre. Is it the last one like it in Cleveland?

Sean Craven said...

Sometimes I hate my brain. When I saw the title of this post for a brief second I heard whazzizname rap, "Thirty-one flavors and a bitch ain't one."

Been meaning to check out that movie for a looooong time now... Netflix!

Erin O'Brien said...

Playhouse Square is the second largest theater complex in the US. I think Lincoln Center in NYC is first.

There's the Ohio Theater, the State, The Palace, The Hanna and the Allen and some smaller theaters as well.

I hope to post more about this soon. It's a very cool thing here in Cleveburg. We get great Broadway shows here because of it.

Here's the wiki entry.

Kirk said...

I really can't remember much of the dialogue in that movie (which I've seen several times) but I always laugh at its' ending, when a despondent Spencer Tracy, vowing to "never laugh again", cracks up completely when Ethel Merman slips on a banana peel.

Kirk said...

Funny beginning, too.

Jimmy Durante kicks the bucket.