Monday, December 21, 2009

A twitillating post

Twhile I twadmit that beginning twords with tw in tworder to mesh twithin the twitterverse is twirritating, I twalso have to concede that I'm digging on Twitter now that I've gotten twused twoo it.

(Relax, I'm not going to keep that up for the entire post.)

I started my Twitter account out of some invisible obligation: you must have one of these to be part of the 21st century. Now I love it. It's like a 24-hour cocktail party with an ever-changing DIY guest list. All I have to do to drop in on the fun is click my mouse and BOOM, the pleasure is all mine. I can check up on buddies, eavesdrop on a crush, listen to my fave news correspondents duking it out over politics, or laugh at one-liners courtesy of someone I know nothing about.

Twitter is more raucous and laid back than Facebook. People aren't particularly prickly about etiquette, although you have to be careful. Once you've tweeted, you've tweeted and although you can delete a tweet, it's probably already been read by the one person you wished hadn't seen it. Also, a mere 140 characters is plenty big enough for libel. Just ask Courtney Love.

I follow all sorts of people using TweetDeck as my organizer. If I've gotten your attention and you think you'd like to jump into the fray, here's a lil' twit list to get you started.

Michelle Belanger: My #1 psychic vampire** Articulate, genuine and always interesting.

Jake Tapper: ABC's White House correspondent. His willingness to show his personal side amazes me.

Phil Plait:
Discovery Magazine's top astronomy blogger; plus I just dig him.

Tim Siedell: Funny, funny, funny--and smart.

This list could go on endlessly but I'll leave it at that. Finding great people to follow is part of the fun. I hope everyone will make suggestions in the comment section. In the meantime, do check out my Twitter page. I just did and all I can say is Erin O'Brien is one pixilated chick.

**I wrote about Michelle and the magickal society of House Kheperu here.

# # #

13 comments:

(S)wine said...

you know how much i love this goddamn service. FB is for shites who whine mostly about the weather and post photos of their kids doing age-appropriate things, but deemed genius. i love twit-twit. in and out. the best exercise in brevity i know. shine on, you crazy diamond.

Phil Plait, The Bad Astronomer said...

Mwah! Back atcha.

Bill said...

i agree twith twat you said.

Entrepreneur Chick said...

I'm following you and you're following me. Twat's nice.

Alanna Klapp said...

Erin, can I ask how you got twused twoo Twitter? Was it simply a matter of sitting and putting the time in it until you "got" it?

Jeff said...

I've written multiple blog posts in the past that have totally bashed Twitter and everything about it. Like you, I realized that if I wanted more people to read my shit, I had to utilize whatever channels of Internet whoredom that were available to me.

Now I'm just another tweetard, but I love it.

Erin O'Brien said...

You peeps are saying "twat" alot!

(tee-hee ... twat alot ... that rhymes ... tee-hee)

To Alanna and other newbie tweeters: Just give it time. Tweetdeck is very helpful for me. Replying and retweeting others will help get their attention.

For someone like me who is alone in front of the 'pooter much of the time, Twitter is like my personal "water cooler. It gives my day a "live" touch.

Anonymous said...

A Luddite responds:

Earth saw clmate chnge4 ions;will cont 2 c chnges.R duty2responsbly devlop resorces4humankind/not pollute&destroy;but cant alter naturl chng

11:57 PM Dec 18th from TwitterBerry
SarahPalinUSA

Should of curbed this satanic technology ions ago.

RJ

Mr. L said...

Twat. What the hell, why not say it again? :)

Alanna Klapp said...

Thanks Erin! I'm going to check out the Tweetdeck, too!

rebecca mccoy dean said...

What is your definition of a "psychic vampire"?

Erin O'Brien said...

Check out the House Kheperu link at the very bottom of the post, Rebecca.

Here's the first paragraph from that article:

On a flawless June weekend in an unremarkable Rodeway Inn in Medina, something remarkable unfolded. House Kheperu, a "magickal society" held its annual open house. The eclectic group is composed chiefly of psychic vampires, which, unlike their sanguinary counterparts, "must actively take in human vital energy in order to maintain their mental, physical and spiritual well-being."

Maybe one day I'll revisit "vampirism." There's plenty there to write about it.

Thanks for dropping in and commenting.

Erin O'Brien said...

Well then, seems like Michelle is tweeting about this very subject tonight.