Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Up to my armpits in crocodiles

For this week's Scene, I've written a feature on Paul Bodnar, who might live here in Northeast Ohio, but his story spans the globe. Bodnar is a crocodile wildlife conservationist, but you won't find him doddering around a sterile research center in a lab coat. If you want to track down this CrocMan, try diving into a billibong teeming with Salties or poking around the dense African rain forest surrounding Camaroon.

The egg I'm holding in the pic is a spent croc egg. The little squeaker cracked his way out of there with a special egg-tooth, which I thought was so funny. Paul gave me the egg and a handful of croc teeth (believed to be good luck) after the interview.

Thanks Paul.

If I'm lucky enough to write a story like this, the teeth must have worked. Paul Bodnar is one of the most fascinating and genuine men I've ever met. Now go and judge for yourself: behold The Croc Whisperer.


* * *

3 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

It's like something out of Jurassic Park. Crocs = cool.

Anonymous said...

I am grateful for Mr. Bodnar's work but the story leaves me with a sense that it could end badly. They must take more precautions than he let on while gathering saltie eggs. To wade in unprotected sounds like a death wish.

RJ

Anonymous said...

This is the best story I have read in a long time! I "googled" his name, he seems like larger than life!

M.