Friday, September 21, 2007

Weird, Parnoid, Insane

First they talk for about five minutes, but not normal talk. It’s really short sentences, or maybe just one word, with long pauses in between. They talk too low for me to hear exactly what they’re saying, but the tone seems weird. Then there’s the bed-squeaking. That only goes for about a minute. Then there’s Dad’s big groan, which is pretty predictable. That’s when you’d figure it’s over, but it’s not. Because the next thing you hear is Mom, making some sort of muffled growl noise. And right after that, there’s this awful clattering, like someone took a box of scrap wood and dumped it on the floor. It’s really loud. I bury my head in the pillows when I know it’s coming, but I can hear it still. I hate that part the most.

That's an excerpt from my short story "Skeleton Mom," which is in the new anthology Air in the Paragraph Line, Issue 12:



Other contributors include Grant Bailie and Jon Konrath and John Sheppard all of whom are brilliant. I also love the cover (below left), which is the work of Matt Pazzol who also did the art for the YouTube trailer.

The Air in the Paragraph Line series hails from Paragraph Line Books, a fledgling publishing house started by Konrath and Sheppard. Issue 12 will not be available on Amazon for a few weeks. Anyone who just can't wait that long is welcome to buy it right now on Lulu.

And I urge you to do so.

Paragraph Line Books is just starting out. It's got a lot of heart and a lot of smart, but needs your support. Sales from Lulu flood more of that support into Paragraph Line instead of letting it flow down the Amazon, if you know what I mean. The book is a 236-page trade paperback, $14.95 + shipping and handling.

And it makes a perfect hostess gift for all your upcoming holiday parties!

CALL FOR REVIEWERS

Jon Konrath is looking for people to review Air in the Paragraph Line, Issue 12. Interested book reviewers should send clips/links of published or posted reviews to him at:

info [at] paragraphline [dot] com

5 comments:

dean said...

Just a note to say that I have read 'Skeleton Mom', and, make no bones about it, it is a kickass story. Sticks to your ribs. Contains skulduggery. Took a lot of backbone, although at points you can see right through it. Didn't take a lot of guts, though.

What's that look mean? You want me to stop? Ok, I'll stop. Stopping now...

PDD said...

Coolio!

I want the review, and I'm not taking no for an answer!

PDD said...

That's a kick ass presentation on you tube!

Anonymous said...

Just got my issue yesterday. "Skeleton Mom" was a great ride-- thanks for taking me along. Wonderful stuff.

Matthew Pazzol said...

Thanks for the kind words. There may be a show in Cleveland soon with silkscreened versions of the illustration and handpuppets and marionettes and other delicious tid-bits. I'll let you know.