Friday, June 30, 2006
Halacious, vol. 2
As I reported here, my old buddy Hal Perry came for a visit. You can see a bevy of his stunning Cleveland photos here. You can also read about the Erin O'Brien Cleveland Dream Date and listen to an audio post wherein Hal makes fun of my "Cleveland accent."
(Accent my ass, Perry!)
I dragged him all over creation, particularly around old and industrial Cleveland. The funniest moment of the day was when we went to the Ohio and Erie Canal Reservation and took a walk. The path nears the Cuyahoga River right by the petroleum pipeline terminal where my husband works. I called my husband as we approached that spot on the trail. He drove through the tank farm and "met" us. The three of us stood there waving at each other from opposite banks of the river while talking on cell phones.
I call this type of behavior a Stupid Human Trick, which is what we talked about on the cell phones.
"Hal," said my husband, "she drags you all the way out here and she pulls a Stupid Human Trick? This is a Stupid Human Trick, you know."
"I know," said Hal. "It is a Stupid Human Trick."
"Lemme talk," I said. "Isn't this stupid?"
Talking about the fact that it was a Stupid Human Trick made it an even Stupider Stupid Human Trick.
The best part of the visit was the way 20 years evaporated in an instant. Hal and I were laughing and swearing and snarking as though our college days were right behind us instead of way behind us.
I made Hal a CD to take home with him. I have been playing the song list constantly myself. I can't get enough of it. So, although I can't make everyone a copy, I can list the songs here and you can find them on Napster or iTunes or wherever and dig some stuff I just love to listen to. Here's the listing:
1. The Party Punch/The Jolly Rogers
2. Cat Black/Uncle John's Children
3. Pagoda's Theme/Mark Mothersbaugh
4. Throw the R Away/The Proclaimers
5. Screenwriter's Blues/Soul Coughing
5. Man Smart (Woman Smarter)/Harry Belafonte
7. Adventurer/Lou Reed
9. Crazy /Gnarls Barkley
10. Theme From "Endless Summer"/The Sandals
11. Shapes of Things/David Bowie
12. A Chicken With Its Head Cut Off Lyric/The Magnetic Fields
13. It must be him/Vicky Carr
14. Blister in the Sun/Violent Femmes
15. Three Strange Days/School Of Fish
16. Jesus Was Way Cool/King Missle
17. Fool For Love/Sandy Rogers
18. The Man Comes Around /Johnny Cash
20. My Boy Lollipop /Millie Small
21. Roadrunner /The Modern Lovers
22. Hoodoo Voodoo/Wilco
23. Girlfriend /Matthew Sweet
24. Big Spender/Peggy Lee
25. She Don't Use Jelly/The Flaming Lips
To my friends out there who have turned me on to some of the songs on this list: thanks. I'm spreading the good vibes around as best I can.
One final note about Hal's visit. I know all the chicks in Cleveland and, hence, question the veracity of the last statement Hal makes in this post. Unless, of course, he had a chicken on his head or something. So did you have a chicken on your head, Hal?