Thursday, October 09, 2014

When I was 28 I was awesome


Art by Liz Maugans

Yo Clevos:

Local arts maven Liz Maugans approached a number of Cleveland-area writers (myself included) a few weeks back with some unusual prompts. She asked each of us to create accompanying prose, up to one page. She gave me the one you see here.

The original art along with our responses will debut in Liz's show SCREENPLAYS this Friday, Oct. 10 at 7 p.m. at 1point618 gallery.

Other contributing writers include Michael Heaton, Ra Washington, Lyz Bly, Andrea Levy, Josh Usmani, Eric Anderson, Jeff Hagan, Marc Lefkowitz and Joseph Clark.

If you're in the Gordon Square neighborhood, please drop in and say hello. I'd love to see you.

*  *  *

4 comments:

DogsDontPurr said...

I hope you'll post your contribution here. I would love to read it...but I'm not in Cleveland!

Erin O'Brien said...

I will see what Liz says about that. My guess is she'll want to wait until the show at the Gallery is over.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Anonymous said...

On a related topic. I've got some ideas for some visual art primarily for my own enjoyment but some of it involves text from books. What is the protocol for attribution if one displays something like that publicly?

Thanks.

RJ

Erin O'Brien said...

RJ, it's mostly a question of are you quoting text or are you using text. In the case of the latter, you have to be very careful about copyright and permissions.