Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A flat banana and other delights

Readers of this blog know I have a great affinity for jigsaw puzzles. Some of those readers keep a proverbial eye out for their humble hostess, and when they see a puzzle that has that certain je ne sais quoi, they snatch it up and forward it on to She Who Curates Puzzles. This phenomenon, of course, fills me with unprecedented joy.

And now for the puzzles.

This classic Springbok, Flat Banana, was sent to me by the Good Witch of Bay. What a great vintage puzzle hailing from 1979. I collect a puzzle like this for the box alone.


Next up, a sweet old Gennessee Puzzle, which was sent to me by an Improved Grinch:


I love this sort of puzzle, which no doubt was purchased at a five and dime for less than a buck back in the 50s or 60s. Maybe a kid bought it for his Gramp for Christmas. Maybe Johnny's mom sent him to Woolworth's with a dollar and the edict, buy Sam a present for his birthday party this Sunday. Kid buys the puzzle for 69 cents and has plenty left over for candy.

So it's missing a piece, who cares? I loved putting it together just the same--pure Americana.

~~

Oh dear reader, I am loathe to tell you what happened during the construction of this next one--a gorgeous and totally fun 2000-piece Jan Van Haasteren offering, which was gifted to me by He Who Rides the Mount of Vernon.


I was bent over the thing in my usual puzzling way when I reached for a piece and knocked over my adult beverage, which soaked a number of pieces. I (predictably) screeched and leapt into action, gathering up the damp pieces and carefully arranging them on cookie sheets.

I dispatched the pans post haste into my KitchenAid Superba combination convection oven, which I turned on to the bread-proofing setting (100 degrees with convection air circulation).

It dried the pieces perfectly, nary a one warped. I didn't even lose a piece in all the confusion.

~~

Imagine getting something like this from a purring minx of incalculable beauty:


I opened the glorious package only to find a 3D Qing Gardens Vase puzzle.

!

I was so excited, I started constructing it right away. The way the little plastic pieces snapped together was totally satisfying. And I loved the numbers and arrows on the pieces, as if the puzzle was worried I'd lose my way.


 Dearest reader, life is beautiful one piece at a time.

*  *  *

5 comments:

DogsDontPurr said...

Awww...thanks for the shout out!

Erin O'Brien said...

DDP, that vase puzzle was so fun. I have yet to find something to put in it. Thank YOU again!

Anonymous said...

It looks like Frontline or Independent Lens has "Let it Burn" broadcasting this evening.

Tell all your friends.

hell, tell somebody you don't like too.

MR

John Venlet said...

You were right. That did make my day, Erin. They're all cool puzzles, but my favorite is the one with the buckaroos.

Erin O'Brien said...

There is something uniquely satisfying about spreading joy through jigsaw puzzles.