Thursday, April 23, 2009

Practicing home economics

I went grocery shopping Tuesday. Beer was on the list.

I went into the beer section and spied this (you realize, people, that you are dealing with someone who goes to the supermarket and takes photographs of a beer price tag). A 30-can case of Pabst would put me back $16.05 (I love the $0.05). I thought that was as beautiful a thing as I'd ever seen. Shitty beer for about fifty cents a can! I muscled a case into my cart.

At home, I put the Pabst in the garage, which is also goddamn righteous: a case of shitty canned beer in a garage in Cleveland, Ohio. I know who I am. The whole experience just kept getting better and better.

I pulled out a few cans to load into the fridge as we're on the cusp of cold enough/not cold enough-to-drink-the-beer-straight-from-the-garage weather.

Oh dear reader--just wait until you behold the perfect end to this Beerella story!

The Goat came home after a 12-hour shift. And as I fixed him a plate of shitty leftover chicken, while still in his work shirt with the name patch, he went to the fridge and pulled out a Pabst, sat down, cracked the beer and commenced eating and drinking.

Never was there a more holy domestic scene. I watched on, tears of pure bliss squeezing from my eyes. Oh beautiful life!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Bless America!

RJ

dean said...

I think I see a bike hiding under that funky striped cover!

Erin O'Brien said...

It's a 1986 Honda Rebel 250. I am terrible at riding it though.

garrett said...

I highly recommend you update this post with a link back to that post of yours from the WAY early days about when the Goat started working at the place with the shirts that had on the name patch. And your fantasy related thereto ... not that I've ever given any of that a second thought since that day almost four years ago.

Verdant Earl said...

An ice-cold PBR, at times, is good for the soul. This was definitely one of those times.

Nice!

Rodger Jacobs said...

Out here in the west, Pabst retails for $5.99 a twelve-pack at the liquor store level and a whopping $9.99 at grocery store chains. I get mine at the liquor store naturally.

HeyJoe said...

That's a beerutiful story, Erin.

MilesB said...

Ahh... the small, comforting dramas of the Midwestern life...

paul bitzan said...

If you added a crackling AM broadcast of an Indians game playing in the background with a steadily approaching thunderstorm....why I think I'd cry.

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

You are one hell of a good wife.

Glass Houses said...

$16.05??!!!

That's at least 50 cents more than I've ever paid for a 30 of PBR.

And I've purchased a lot of them.

philbilly said...

"Heineken??!! wha'..HEINEKEN???!!!!
F**K HEINEKEN!!!!
PABST BLUE RIBBON!!!"
Dennis Hopper as the maniacal Frank Booth in "Blue Velvet"

philbilly said...

Edit:
PBR!

Hal said...

Three more things to complete this picture:

1) A garage refrigerator just for those beers.

2) A green 1972 Cutlass with a black vynil top in the garage (extra Clevo cred if it doesn't run).

3) A Snap-on Tooks calendar on the wall with a cheesy nudie pic for each month.

Bill the Wrenchbender said...

That's good stuff, at the racetrack I work at, we can get cases of Bud or Bud light for $14 from our beer vendor. Of course the fridge in the maintenance shop is usually well stocked for after working hours.
It's cool, sitting in the sun with a cold one, while various race cars test at the dragstrip and oval track.
Ya gotta come down for a Thursday night test and tune sometime Erin, it's big fun.