Friday, January 12, 2007

Pickled turnips

My friend Maureen McHugh asked about pickled turnips, so I thought I'd blog the mother effers.

I effing love these things.

I first had them at Nate's Deli on 25th Street here in Cleveland. They give you a little plate with hot peppers and pickled turnips with your lunch. I always ask Jackie the kick-ass waitress for more turnips.

"Can I get extra turnips, please?"

I put 'em on my shish tawook sandwich along with extra garlic mayo. I've tried to pickle my own turnips, but they are never as good as the ones at Nate's. Here's a recipe that I will probably try. I try making my own about once or twice a year and end up eating my pickled turnips and thinking that they are okay but not like Nate's.

One of my goodliest buds in the whole world bought me the jar of pickled turnips pictured here. Amy* and me have eaten plenty of shish tawooks at Nate's. Her office used to be right across the street. They had Pez dispensers there and a cool dog that would lean on me whenever I came in.

"Hey, this dog's leaning on me."

Now she works in the most beautiful place in the world. I am glad for that, but I will miss hijacking her from the PezDog office and dragging her to Nate's.

The jar turnips are good, but not as good as when I'm with the regular Amy at Nate's and we're talking about writing stories and writers and shit. Still, I pile those mothers on about any sandwich you can think of and eat 'em and eat 'em and eat 'em.

I so love you people. I am sorta sad now.

*Click on that link there and you will see one of the best blog entries of all time and you will understand why Amy is one of my goodliest buds.

14 comments:

Norm said...

Shish tawook?

Sexeh.

Velvet Fog said...

I bet all those pickled turnips make your squirt a little off.
You should watch that, it could get out of hand.

josh williams said...

Jesus loves them pills chocked full of goodness.

Erin O'Brien said...

Norm: I know how to swing lead, baby.

Dong: I didn't even get into how these are useful in the bedroom. Can I borrow your strap-on thing?

Josh: Thanks. I need all the imported religion I can get. Let's get together soon and split a bottle of hot sauce and some Cheez Whiz.

Dean said...

I remember my mother making pickled watermelon rind.

I'm thinking that pickled turnip would be rather like that. Although I'm also betting that the sxKitten would enjoy her some pickled turnip.

Why is that pickled turnip purple?

Anonymous said...

ewwwwww Pickled turnips are yucky!

Libby Spencer said...

Who knew food could be so fun. It's always such a culinary adventure around here. I heart Amy already. What a post.

Erin O'Brien said...

Dean: I love the idea of pickled watermelon rind. And they're purple because you put a beet in there!

Bostick: You'll have nothing and like it, young man! Now go to your room.

Libby: More fun if you make them or buy them and try them. Let me know what you think.

Anonymous said...

Hey goodly bud, I'm at home eating proper granola, but now I pine for the shish, the tawook, and a hundred pink turnips.

Thanks for blog compliment.

PezDog office indeed!

Lady Bonds said...

Ms. O'Brien,

Speaking of soaking red vegetables and Things You Can Do With Them, the Beet-and-cheddar-cheese sandwich has recently come to my attention. High marks, all around. First class.

LB

Anonymous said...

Wow, Erin, they are an amazing color. Hey, I'm coming into Cleveland this week, want to meet me for pickled turnips? We could hijack Amy.

Erin O'Brien said...

Amy: I didn't say anything about the rock-my-face off candy dish in that office.

Lady: That sandwich sounds so good. I'm assuming it's made with those soft pickled beets. Yum! Will try it right away. I also like to take a big slice of wheat bread, put a moderate layer of sour cream on it and then a layer of steamed cold leftover green beans and a few drops of hot sauce. Roll it up and there you go ...

MM: SURE! You don't have to ask me twice.

Anonymous said...

erin...
those turnips are a funny colour. unnatural.
say you were in a boat with your husband and some pickled turnips, and the boat began to sink, and neither your husband or the pickled turnips could swim but you could swim...WHICH WOULD YOU SAVE??
(and I am crazy for that kelly link story- best story I ever read. it made the top of my head feel very cold, and then as if it was gone)

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!