Monday, April 15, 2013

Dutch baby and other delights

That there is your Dutch baby. 

Your Dutch baby is sort of like a custard pancake. Your Dutch baby blows up like a balloon in the oven, then deflates as soon as you take it out. You eat your Dutch baby with some syrup or fruit and a couple slices of bacon on the side. You eat your Dutch baby with your regular baby and you make your regular baby double-dutch happy.

That there is The Singing Butler puzzle.

For those who might be wondering how the 965-piece mystery ended, this singing butler hath just one hole in the sky. Just one! Did your humble hostess get her thirty-seven cents worth? HELL YES.

That there is the sort of thing you find in the refrigerator of your humble hostess.

You would think that the Goat and Lil' OB would regard such developments with a nameless dread, but they do not. They wordlessly accept the inclusion of such terrifying items with their other foodstuffs. Goat and Lil' OB are with your humble hostess. You're either with your humble hostess or you're not.

So, what about you? You with the Irish Hungarian or not? 

* * *


Mike Williams said...

Just wondering if you might have a Dutch Uncle hiding in there somewhere?

jo said...

Used to make The Big Pancake with apples for Boy when he was little. And yes, he ate the WHOLE thing. And asked for another!

dean said...

So we are to conclude, then, that the 1000 piece puzzle actually had 966 pieces? I think you should ask for a refund of (965/966) * 0.37.

Erin O'Brien said...

I laughed so hard when I finished that puzzle. The mystery of he-who-recorded-the-965 notation only deepened.

Why THE HELL didn't he/she write "one missing piece" instead? Maybe it's meaningless and he just writes random numbers inside puzzle boxes before donating them to Unique Thrift in order to drive people crazy.

Yeah, yeah.

twinklysparkles said...

I'm with you.

I used to make this type of pancake when I was in high school, I think the "German Pancake" recipe from Joy of Cooking.

I'd bake it just like that in a cast-iron pan and I ate mine with fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar which I HIGHLY recommend. You can tell I really mean it because I capitalized those letters.

My mother is German and she never saw such a thing on her home soil. She makes crepe-like pancakes and they are the best.

Do you have a recipe for the Dutch baby?

I love the mystery liquid in the Pyrex. As long as Mama's happy.

XO, twinkly

Erin O'Brien said...

Can't find the exact recipe I used, but it was similar to the one linked in the post. Eggs, milk, flour vanilla ...

Now I want to try it again with the lemon and powdered sugar.